- Among the top five graduate programs in the nation
- One of the largest undergraduate physics programs in the country
- Three Nobel Laureates
- Fourteen memberships of the National Academies
- A host of award winning faculty
The Department of Physics is located in Broida Hall, named after Herbert P. Broida, a distinguished early member of the Department who made many contributions to molecular physics, laser spectroscopy and related fields.
- Provide a world-class education to its students that will prepare them for a diverse range of professional careers requiring a strong technical background.
- Perform cutting-edge research across broad and inter-disciplinary fields.
- Share expertise and communicate the excitement of science both locally and globally. These goals have led the Department of Physics at UCSB from relative obscurity 30 years ago to placement as one of the most innovative and robust programs in the country.